Microsoft AD Deployment
Deploy Microsoft AD
To emulate DNS on-premise, we will use AWS Directory Service to deploy AWS Managed Microsoft Active Directory in two private subnets created by CloudFormation as shown below :
- Log in to AWS Console and access the Directory Service console through the search box and find Directory Services.
- Make sure you have selected the correct Region. Notice in the left corner of AWS Console and select the correct Region you need (Here we are selecting ap-southeast-1)
If you are accessing Directory Services for the first time in your region, you will be taken to the initial welcome screen. Expand the left sidebar and select Directories.
- Select Directory types, select AWS Managed Microsoft AD
In the Enter Directory Information page, enter the following information:
In Edition: select Standard Edition.
In Directory DNS name: onprem.example.com (this DNS name must be unique among your directories).
In Directory NetBIOS name: onprem (this NetBIOS name must be unique among your directories).
In Directory Description: This is to simulate the on-prem AD.
In Admin Password: Use a password you can remember. Please note the password complexity requirements listed on the screen.
In Confirm password: Re-enter the password again.
- In Choose VPC and subnets, select the VPC HybridDNS-VPCStack that we created earlier and two private subnets, Private subnet 1A and Private subnet 2A. Then select Next.
- On the Review & create screen, review the settings and select Create Directory.
- Directory will take about 20 minutes to create. During this time, AWS will provision two Windows servers and elevate them to Active Directory domain controllers for the AD forest you specified. This AD forest will be a new AD forest. The process will be complete when you see the status change to Active
- Once the directory has been created, you can view the details by clicking on the Directory ID. The two DNS IP addresses listed are the IP addresses of elastic network interfaces (ENI) that have your availability zone set to communicate with AWS Managed Microsoft AD Domain Controllers.